Old Abe State Trail
Old Abe State Trail | 37 Miles
While you bike, hike, snowshoe, ski, or ride horseback beside the banks of the Chippewa River you will be able to break away from the hustle and bustle and GO get lost in nature. Two state parks, wide-open spaces, canopies of trees, and the lazy flow of the river will be just a few of the highlights along the way.
There are over 30 stops from the trailhead to the junction point with the Chippewa River State Trail at Dells Pond. If you’re looking for a pick-me-up, a cold brew after a long ride, or some killer cheese curds, you’re sure to find the right spot for you. Click here to see the restaurants, cafes, and bars along the way.
Whether you're setting out to complete the entire trail system or would just like to explore a section or two, it is always nice to have somewhere to rest your head at the end of the day. Chippewa County has 8 accommodations located within just 2 miles of Old Abe State Trail - Avalon Hotel & Conference Center, AmericInn by Wyndham, Badger Motel, Cobblestone Hotel & Suites, Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Glen Loch Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites, Holiday Inn Express & Suites, and Indianhead Motel. Click here to learn more.
37 miles is quite the stretch and we wouldn't blame you for wanting to stop and stretch your legs. We have plenty of noteworthy attractions to get the fun GOing including over 50 historical markers, nationally recognized breweries like Leinenkugel's, a free zoo, and museums too. See them here.
State Trail Passes:
A state trail pass is required for individuals aged 16+ biking, cross-country skiing, horseback riding, or in-line skating on the Chippewa Valley State Trails. A state trail pass is not required for walking or hiking. Wisconsin state trail pass fees are the same for residents and non-residents. The $25 annual pass is good for the calendar year and the $5 daily pass is good for the day of purchase.
A pass can be purchased at any of these locations along the trails:
- Brunet Island State Park
- Chippewa Area Visitor Center - 1 N Bridge St, Chippewa Falls, WI 54729
- City of Cornell Administrative Building - 222 Main Street, Cornell, WI 54732
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson - 1021 W Park Ave, Chippewa Falls, WI 54729
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites - 12858 26th Ave, Chippewa Falls, WI 5472
- Jim Falls Cenex Convenience Store - 19786 139th Ave, Jim Falls, WI 5474
- Lake Wissota State Park
- Spring Street Sports - 12 W Spring St, Chippewa Falls, WI 54729
Self-Registration is available at three parking areas:
- City of Cornell across from Mill Yard Park
- Lake Wissota - Intersection of County Hwy S and County Hwy O and 97th Avenue
- Riverview Conservancy - 15985 Beach Drive, Chippewa Falls, WI 54729
Learn about the rest of the trail system here.